Friday, January 4, 2008

Iowa, Finally

Iowa "voted" last night. I may have been the only person outside of Iowa to even care, but I flipped between MSNBC and Fox News for about four hours last night. I figure between those two channels I can get a balanced view of what is actually happening.

Before I post my thoughts, for full disclosure, I generally vote Republican:

I detest Mike Huckabee. From now on, I'm calling him Suckabee. I think he's a Pat Robertson-type Iowa flash in the pan. When did "Conservatives" start defining themselves with Anti-Abortion and Gay Marriage rather than small, unintrusive Government? Suckabee is a funny guy, but no President.

A lot of people think Mike will get a boost in four days in New Hampshire--I couldn't disagree more. New Hampshire-ites are as much like Iowans as I am like a Grizzly Bear. Suck will fall flat on his face there, and McCain or Romney will win the state.

As far as Democrats go, I couldn't be more tickled. I strongly believe that since the day that Hillary married Bill, she's been planning to be the President. I can just imagine her in her hotel room screaming at an aide "Goddamnit, it is MY turn to be President. We planned this! Has the whole world gone crazy!". For that reason, I love Barack Obama. Hillary could never have planned for a charismatic, brilliant, telegenic, and skilled politician like Barack to come along, to say nothing of him trumping the whole "first woman president" thing, with his "first black president" thing.

On top of that, if the election of Obama significantly reduced racial tensions in this country, I would be willing to live with the inevitiable 10% tax increase that his election would bring. It's just worth it to me.

My favorite crazy-uncle politician Ron Paul actually did pretty well. He got 10% of the vote, which is pretty significant. I love listening to Mr. Paul speak--he's got positions that no other candidate would even consider taking, and to me it is refreshing.

I was also very glad to see that turn-out was very high; even for the Rube Goldberg-style structure of the caucuses.

On a related note, my roommate came home last night and couldn't believe that I'd actually watch election coverage. I didn't respond but I started thinking why this election is important. I don't know if I've been more impacted by Government than others, but this Government sent me to war (twice), paid for my college, takes thirty-something % of my paycheck, indirectly employs me, and makes traveling by plane an experience you can't endure unless drunk.

Damn right I'm watching--i'm watching because it fucking matters.

I'll be back after New Hampshire.

kb

No comments: